When it comes to sweet treats, getting yourself into the kitchen to bake your favourite recipes or experiment with new creations, we can all agree that’s it’s one of life’s greatest pleasures.
There’s only one downside – is it healthy for us? My perspective on this is that we make and create, go out and purchase to enjoy with family and friends, these sweet treats. They’re there to be enjoyed, not to be overindulged. I believe in living a balanced lifestyle, especially when it comes to food.
If you’re living with any dietary restrictions, making healthier choices may be easier for you in that respect, but difficult in it’s own right. For example, if you’re a diabetic, you’re staying away from sugary sweets and desserts. This leaves room for you to make better decisions when it comes to choosing off the menu and when purchasing ingredients that you will be creating yourself at home.
If you have unlimited options and you have the ability to completely and utterly indulge in whatever you desire, this is where self discipline and willpower is required, that is if you want to consciously make better, healthier choices for yourself.
Want to make a change for the better but still enjoy everything you love when it comes to sweets? Here’s some of my top tips…
When eating out:
– Select a cafe/restaurant that you know offers meals filled with healthier ingredients. You can even call them up in advance to enquire. I always love to look at the menu online before I go.
– If you weren’t already aware, this generation is all over healthy living and eating. You just have to head to social media to check out the latest trendy cafes and restaurants, and I guarantee you they’re all healthy, meaning they offer everything from gluten free, low sugar, vegetarian and vegan. You name it and you’ll find it!
When creating at home:
– The best thing I ever did was clear out my pantry and refrigerator of everything nasty, chemical filled, artificially made, etc. You know what I’m talking about. Doing this is hard and time consuming, but you only have to do it initially and then it’s a fresh new beginning. You’ll be able to go out and purchase staple ingredients that are better for you. A little research and knowledge is required here, you must know what you need and don’t need to suit your lifestyle.
– Support brands and companies, especially local, that offer you healthier ingredients. They have already done the hard work, they just need your support now. Let’s help each other! This again will be targeted to your specific lifestyle situation.
– Meal plan! This relates to all your meals across the board, but it’s often overlooked by many. Making meals or even elements of a meal in advance is seriously life changing! You’ll find yourself making healthier choices and in return, more time on your hands.
Maintaining all of this is a challenge in the beginning, you will need mental strength and willpower, but you have just to believe it’s possible. Once you have your routine down, you’ll be unstoppable and thriving!